Friday, November 21, 2014

Homeland Security and Immigration

I've been asked several times to comment on my thoughts via President Obama's recent media blitz regarding immigration. Listen, I have no answers other then this is not a black and white issue. Like anything, there are several layers and a "one size fits all" solution will only create, in my opinion, further issues down the road.

This said, from a Homeland Security standpoint- something has to be done that will ensure we are protecting our country from allowing terrorists (who fly into Mexico or Canada) from entering our country with great ease. Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson sent an open letter to the President on the issue. In it, Johnson says "I support and recommended to the President each of the reforms to the immigration system that he will announce today. These recommendations were in turn the result of candid and extended consultations between me and the leadership of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), as well as outside stakeholders. Along the way, I listened to members of the workforce who implement and enforce the law to hear their views. In my own view, any significant change in policy requires the insight of those who administer the system. I believe we have done that here. The executive actions the President will announce will reform and improve the system in a number of respects. These executive actions are well within our legal authority to direct and implement."

I don't think that the immigration orders will open us up to any more terrorism. It could, but I doubt it. Why? We have problems in other areas. I believe a lack of funding and program sustainability will cause further issues- which in turn will be blamed on any executive order that the President implements. I agree with Jeh Johnson but I know what will look like a lack of ability from the DHS will result not because of immigration and border issues (although that is always a concern) but because we are not handling money issues and program issues properly now! Immigration amnesty or not, the DHS is running out of resources as this country is running out of money. Something has to change- but like I said, not all issues are black and white or cut and dry.

"So, Twyla... what is your point?"

As we head into the weekend, take time to consider your own business. Think about the issues you have at hand and growth vs. income. Can you blame all of your problems on one source? Or is it easy to blame challenges on one area because addressing the few roots that lay underneath may be harder because their are no obvious solutions?

Until Monday,

Twyla N. Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment