Friday, April 11, 2014

Help A Failure! (Failure Fridays)

I have an upcoming book on failure. I am writing it now. Failure is both a part of life and business. We all have failures and most of us want to avoid talking about them or revisiting them. But what if you are on the other side of the coin? What if you see someone failing? Do you stand by and let him or her learn the lesson on their own? Or do you step in?

If you do decide to step in then there are a few ways you can help someone who is failing. First decide if you are concerned about the actual failure or improving the other person’s skillset. If the answer is skillset then keep reading. You want to address the skillset problem from a positive place and offer step-by-step guidance on how the failed task should have been executed.

You also want to make sure you’re not encouraging a skillset that is above that the person is capable of. If someone asked me to explain in detail how a rocket ship is launched, I couldn’t. I could give you the basics. If you needed someone to give a presentation to teenagers, I would fail. You could give me a milestones but that doesn’t mean the presentation will be a success. In this case, I would be set up for failure.

Again, failing is a part of life and an opportunity to grow. Some failures, however, can be prevented as we all have talent and skillset limits. This about this during the weekend and decide how to, and if you will, approach someone whom you see is struggling right now.

Until Monday,

Twyla Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment