Wednesday, September 17, 2014

In the Business of Excuses




I did a radio show on Monday and we touched briefly on why some people don't follow their dreams. Simply put, I believe many people don't do what they want in life because they are in the business of making excuses. What, you thought I would sugar coat this? Really, c'mon! I don't want to sound harsh or insensitive, but I want to tell the truth. I don't have a magic wand and I certainly didn't grow up with a silver spoon in my mouth. No one from the US Government came to my house, tapped me on the shoulder, and said I was going to be successful. Some people, unfortunately, like to dream big, talk even bigger, and then make up excuse after excuse as to why their dreams didn't come true. Well, boo hoo to those people.

No one is going to reward you today for the work you didn't do yesterday. You have to go after what you want out of life. When you fail, you have to get back up on your feet and try again. There will never be the right set of circumstances to start a business. I had 4k in the bank when I started IME and I had just quit my job with the Government. That's right, 4k- no income coming in- and no client leads. I couldn't make excuses. Instead, I had to make things work. I truly believe this is the difference between those who do and those who talk about doing. Some people make things work, others make excuses.

So, I beg of you today, to ask yourself what side of the fence you are truly on. Do you talk about your dreams a lot or do you execute action plans? Do you happen to lean on excuses vs. lean on reasons why things aren't working out and then develop recovery plans?

I know a woman who is very smart. She is naturally gifted at being both book and street smart. She wanted to start her own marketing company. She went to school to obtain her marketing degree. There is nothing wrong with this, right? Well, then she went to school to get her Master's degree. After this, she wanted to get a communications degree. School became her crutch NOT to open her business, rather talk about it and seem like she was really working on it. After 15 years of intense education, this woman got pregnant. After being home with the baby for two years, she then decided she needed to return to school to brush up on marketing trends in the current time. At this point I asked her if she wasn't a professional student, was she planning on simply teaching marketing vs. opening up a marketing agency. We haven't spoken since....

Don't allow valid excuses to become stagnant reasons for you to not move forward in your life. If you want to open up a business, do it - unless, that is, you are in the business of making excuses.

Until tomorrow,

Twyla N. Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment