Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Powerful Emails



I want to talk about writing powerful emails today. I touched briefly on this early in the year, but today I want to get to a bit deeper on how to respond to client emails.

First, never ignore an email. If you don't have time to respond to the questions or concerns, reply with "I've received your email. I will address this shortly, but I want you to know that I am aware of it and I will address it."

If you are responding to a client or potential client's email, read it twice before you send it. You don't want to send an email filled with typos or a tone that can be misinterpreted. Speaking of tone, unless you are friends with the person to whom the email is being sent to- leave emotions out of it. If a client or coworker has made you upset, walk away from the email. Again, reply with "I've received your email. I will address this shortly, but I want you to know that I am aware of it and I will address it," and wait a day or two before you do respond. Letting anger seep into an email is always unprofessional- even if you are provoked.

Don't over communicate, either. If the email chain starts to go past four responses, call the person. You shouldn't use email as a book or main point of communication. If you are starting to reply to emails- again over 4 responses- then a phone call or in-person meeting is in order. Don't allow someone else to drive the email conversation to the point of no return. Pick up a phone or schedule to meet over coffee to talk about the issue on the table.

I hope this information has been helpful. I think we can always use reminders on how to conduct email during such a virtual work space culture.

Until tomorrow,

Twyla Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment