Tuesday, August 26, 2014

How to give a killer presentation.

I receive wonderful comments back from attendees at the conferences I speak at. I don’t mind gloating about this. Why? Because I can share the secret to my presentation success with my blog audience. You see, I love public speaking but wasn’t that great at it when I first started. Someone shared the following secret with me, which has improved my presentation skills regardless of the audience size. So, I thought I would share it with you. I promise, if followed, you will be gloating about your wonderful feedback too!

End with a quote! It seems simple enough, right? You’re probably thinking a quote ending is silly. Well, it’s now. You see, people will remember a quote. They will associate that quote to your brand. They will use the quote often and, when doing so, think of you. They will share the quote on social media, they will talk about the quote at meetings, they will not believe that you ended a presentation using someone else’s quote. Your borrowed quote will be memorable!

The key is to select the right quote. It has to tie into the topic you are speaking about. It has to be cited to someone everyone is capable of knowing- at least from a name recognition point of view. The quote should be limited to two sentences. The quote should be said and mirrored in a presentation slide. And, if you give out any collateral, the quote should be at the very end.

Still intrigued? Try it! The next time you are speaking to a small group- even friends at Starbucks- leave the room with a quote. I promise you it will be a pivotal moment for you.

Until next time,
Twyla N. Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment