Friday, March 21, 2014

Is Your Boss Terrible?

I own a business. I am a boss. So why am I writing about terrible bosses? Well, we all have room to grow but being many of my readers are soon-to-be entrepreneurs, many of you are still working for someone right now! Thus, this post if for you!

If your boss is a micromanager, I’m sorry. Your boss’ company will not grow unless he or she lets go of the harness. If you are in this situation, try sending your boss an action plan once a task is assigned to you. Note “check in” dates of when you will provide updates on certain milestones. If you take the initiative first, chances are your boss will not micromanage so much down the road.

If your boss changes direction often, I’m sorry. I understand going where the money is but sometimes boss’ are spread too thin and then start to panic. Try to offer data as to why you and your boss should stay the course. Chances are your thinking will be more level-headed than that of a business owner who has money on the line. You can be the voice of reason in this scenario.

Most of the time the boss doesn’t intend on being a terrible leader. It happens for a variety of reasons. Key employees gently point this out and help better the company. You can be this person.

Until Monday,

Twyla N. Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment