Monday, November 5, 2012
Tips on obtaining FEMA Aid.
If you are on the east coast, I am sure you have already heard that FEMA is taking steps to help residents obtain benefits in the recovery effort for those affected by Hurricane Sandy. But, what do you need before you call (or apply online) for aid? Below are items you want to have with you when you apply for any type of FEMA assistance.
1. Your Social Security number
2. Current and pre-disaster address
3. A telephone number where you can be contacted, even if it is at a shelter
4. Insurance information (medical, dental, home/renters, auto, and other)
5.Total household annual income - ** If you were able to save (or obtain) proof of your last paycheck- this is great.
6. A routing and account number from your bank (only necessary if you want to have disaster assistance funds transferred directly into your bank account). This saves time in getting aid to you!
7. A description of your losses that were caused by the disaster, if you have one. If you haven't been home- that is ok. Get the application in as fast as possible and do the best you can with your losses.
Upon completion of your FEMA application you will be issued a FEMA number. Don't lose this. It is very important to getting you the aid needed to recover. Need to apply for FEMA now? Click here: http://www.disasterassistance.gov/