Here we go:
1. Never over-promise results. Make sure you under promise and over deliver to be a rock star out of the gate each and every day!
2. You want to be professionally mature, not college cool so check your verbiage. Do you use slang? If so, stop. It downgrades you as a professional and people tend not trust you with major projects.
3. Stay away from political or religious conversations. Remember, it isn’t what you say or don’t say – it is how you say it. There is no right way to talk politics or religion with clients or co-workers, so stay away from these topics.
4. Don’t decorate your office or cubical. Why? It opens you up for unfair judgment by colleagues, clients and even the boss. Keep it simple, keep impersonal if you do feel the urge to decorate. Remember, you’re at work, not home. You don’t need photos of family, etc. everywhere!
5. Recognize and reschedule if someone’s day is getting away from them. If a business meeting is delayed until next week, it will be more productive than a rushed and distracted meeting today so it is always best to revisit important items when everyone has the time and focus to dedicate to the matter.
Until next time,
Twyla N. Garrett