Monday, June 23, 2014

Communication – Your Relationship with Others

As a business woman, I am required to build different types of relationships with diverse groups of people. Not only does this help amplify my business efforts, it helps my industry grow as a whole. So, I am expected to develop and nurture professional relationships. This is why I wanted to dedicate today’s blog post to the art of communicating / relating with others.

If you want to develop and nurture a professional relationship or communicate something – stay away from social media. Sure, it is easier but there is a lack of personal response that is lost with the medium. It isn’t hard or time consuming to take a person out for coffee… just make sure you stay off your phone when speaking with him or her. A simple communication break over a latte can make all the difference in the world when it comes to your business.

My key point to communication and building relationships is actually knowing the person outside his or her LinkedIn profile. You need to sit, meet and speak with them, not just IM or @ them via social media. Plus, social media is responsible for a lot of misinterpreted tones and failed chances for business deals.

Take the time this week to get to know one new business contact over coffee. I promise you, you will be glad you did!

Until tomorrow,

Twyla N. Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment